Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:40:58AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  -- until there exists a mechanism to convert .desktop entries into
>  things that the back-end WM's can grok, we are stymied

Agreed.

> (since we have a system that works, however imperfectly, and dropping
> support for these window mangers would be a regression).

Never suggested it.  Personally, I like menu files.  They're simple,
direct, and provide a great service to Debian.

> The other part is, of course, teaching developers how to write the
> .desktop menu item, and I for one, have never seen one.

That hasn't stopped us before. ;-p  I agree though, it's a learning
process.  I haven't looked at the menu code, so I don't know how
difficult it'ld be to "throw in" a .desktop file parser/converter.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't ever suggest abandoning Debian menu.  I
only suggested that participating in something that may turn out to be a
"standard" amongst desktop environments will only benefit us.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/