Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> >>   So far there has been a lot of support for the .desktop standard
> >> effort.  Which systems do you refer to that are not supporting,
> >> adopting, or intending to adopt the .desktop standard?
> >
> > Some or all of: twm, pdmenu, blackbox, afterstep, fluxbox, gtk-menu,
> > wmaker, fvwm2, enlightenment, etc, consult /etc/menu-methods for more.
> > There are dozens of programs that use the debian menus that would have
> > no reason to use the .desktop stuff.
>
> Can you name the ones that are still developed in that list? Only one
> half, I'm afraid. It is not a big surprise that wmaker does not
> support a standard created more or less when the latest, only
> bugfixes, release was published.

Every peice of software I listed is part of Debian, and supported by
Debian.

> Why do you say that this programs would have no reason to use the
> .desktop stuff? What reasons would they have to use the Debian Menu
> instead?

Some of the listed programs have nothing to do with a desktop menu
standard, and have zero chance of supporting it upstream. The Debian
menu system creates native config files in the format these programs
use.

--
see shy jo