Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> If it is just a matter of time, the transition can be done step by
> step: the first step is just to say that this transition should be
> done.
>
> It doesn't need to be done in two days, does it? If new packages start
> directly with .desktop and others packages move to .desktop in the
> next year, it does not seems to be an awful load of extra work.

If that happened then we would, for an undefined length of time that
would probably span a Debian release, have two divergent sets of menus,
with some programs randomly on the Debian menus, and some programs
randomly on the free desktop menus. This would be unusable, and a
bad regression.

You speak of a transition, but I see no transition plan here. I suppose
that this thread is useless, and someone will eventually write code, and
that person will be the one who decides how it works.

--
see shy jo