Re: Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:02:42PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | Yeah, inverted the sense, you get the idea. We need both tools, at
> | which point there's no longer a reason not to just continue using the
> | existing Debian menu system.
>
> Except that AFAIK .desktops are still semantically richer than the
> existing Debian system, and have more momentum behind them outside of
> Debian.  Upstream packages are much more likely to ship to .desktop
> files than they are Debian menu entries.  Admittedly I'm not convinced
> that they're ready enough in other ways to replace what we have now.

Thing is, none of this matters. If upstream support .desktop files,
then we just run them through the script that converts them to Debian
menu entries while installing. dh_installmenu would be a good place to
do this.

The extra features should be pretty simple to implement - just more
text fields. That way we support the upstream menu entries in
everything, not just kde and gnome.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |