Re: Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:19:28AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | > Frankly, I'm not clear why there's opposition to adopting the freedesktop
> | > draft specifications in Debian.
> | >
> | > Are there any technical complaints about it?  (Apart from "I don't like
> | > the .desktop extension", which I consider unimportant.)
> |
> | It doesn't support anything but gnome or kde. We have a system that
> | works for everything, and it is unlikely that anybody else will go to
> | that much trouble.
>
> It doesn't /yet/ support anything but Gnome and KDE.  You've been
> proposing hacking additional features supported by the freedesktop
> system into the Debian system; Nate has already said that he might write
> a converter to generate menu files from .desktop files to retain
> compatibility for everything else, in which case the .desktop system
> will support everything that the current menu system does.  That doesn't
> sound so bad, does it?

Right, that's what I just described (later on). The thread had
previously been about people wanting to throw away the Debian menu
system and replace it with the .desktop one, or worse, have both
coexist.

> | > Perhaps a "backward-compatability-menu" module could be written to
> | > automagically generate Debian menu entries from .desktop entries.  If this
> | > would satisfy everyone's complaints, I'll write the damn thing.
> |
> | That's half of what is needed (to support gnome and kde within the
> | debian menu system). The other half is the reverse conversion - take
> | the upstream .desktop file, and convert it to a debian manu
> | entry. That supports everything other than gnome and kde. It should be
> | pretty easy - they're simple text files.
>
> I fail to see what the difference is between the quoted text and your
> 'pretty easy' suggestion... perhaps you meant to say "take the Debian
> menu entry and generate a .desktop"?

Yeah, inverted the sense, you get the idea. We need both tools, at
which point there's no longer a reason not to just continue using the
existing Debian menu system.

> That, also, should be simple,
> because it's already bleedin' done.

Sort of, but...

> In fact, it looks like it's been implemented twice, once for KDE and
> once for GNOME.  (Is there any reason why the .desktop files aren't being
> shared between the two DE's?  It also appears to me that KDE is doing a
> marginally better job of integrating the Debian menu into the KDE menu.)

Yup, that. It needs de-stupiding, which basically means rewriting,
given the triviality of this particular part.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |