Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 04:08:41 -0600, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
escreveu:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:18:46 -0600, Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net> said:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:49:45PM -0200, Felipe Almeida Lessa
> > wrote:
> >> I think only one thing is blocking the whole idea of moving from
> >> Debian Menu style to freedesktop.org style: the work that need to
> >> be done. In other words, people don't wanna use the .desktop format
> >> because the have already write a debian/menu.
>
> > Then extend the functionality of the Debian menu system to use
> > .desktop format as both an OPTIONAL target and an optional SOURCE.
> > Doing so might ease the burden and barrier to utilizing .desktop
> > files.  It only stands to reason that if both the KDE and Gnome
> > desktop camps wish to formalize on the format that we should adopt
> > it as well, if only as an extension of our menu system.  We would
> > have to generate .desktop files anyway, when Gnome and KDE move form
> > their own native menu formats.
>
> 	You talk as if the whole universe of window managers is merely
>  gnome and kde.

Now I'm using GNOME, but some time ago I have used XFce, Window Maker and
others. IMHO, we could have a script that converted new .desktop to old-style
Debian Menu while the WM don't understand .desktop. Or even better, we could
make it understand :-).

OTOH, it could require some work. Actually, for me it would be very hard to make
any of these scripts, as I don't have the knowledge that would be necessary, so
I'm just saying my opinions.

        []'s,
            Felipe Almeida Lessa.