Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:34:22AM +0100, Raphael Goulais wrote:
>> On Wednesday 03 December 2003 21:31, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> > I agree. I would like to see .desktop standard adopted. There have been
>> > a few threads I have seen so far, and there seems to be some level of
>> > resistance to the idea.
>>
>> The silly question is : What does our actual menu system provide that
>> shouldn't be achieved by using .desktop file ?
>>
>> As those are going to be a standard, we should deal with them.
>
> You could swap "our menu system" and ".desktop files" here and your
> argument would still be about as valid.

Only if you disregard the last sentence of Raphael: "our menu system"
is definitely not going to be a standard (outside debian), is it?

(In fact, only this last sentence is an argument, the other one is a
question.)

If there are no technical differences between two solutions but one is
standard in many places (or going to be standard) and the other is
just known at home, which one is the best?

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |