Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 20:15, Herbert Xu wrote:
> AKL. Mantas Kriauciunas <mantas@akl.lt> wrote:
> >
> > Solution is to add freedesktop.org standartized menu entry for programs,
> > which could be started from menu (for example there is no meaning to
> > start apt-get tool from menu). Then users of modern desktops will be
> > happy, because they can easily find how to start installed applications
> > - menu entries will be localized and will be in right place.
>
> If the Debian menu system can't represent what you want, then we should
> either extend it so that it does, or get rid of it.  It makes no sense
> to support two sets of menu entries throughout the distribution.

I agree. I would like to see .desktop standard adopted. There have been
a few threads I have seen so far, and there seems to be some level of
resistance to the idea.

I think if "too many applications in menu" or "wanting simple menu" is a
different problem entirely. Once you know where to find apps, you still
have too many. At the moment it's doubly complex, and that's plain
silly!

imho of course
zen

--