Re: OT: Smartcards and Physical Security

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:52:21 -0800, Tom  <tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net> said:

> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:43:21AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Snippy, aren't we? Usually it is better to have basic logic
>> straight before you try for a mistaken sense of haughtiness.

> My logic is correct; apparently my understanding of the goals of the
> Debian project is not.

	Methinks you know not yet the depths of the error: Goals of
 the Debian project?  Apart from the social contract, there is no such
 thing

> I always thought it was first and foremost for the devs themselves
> ("we don't care if anybody uses it but us").

	For some, sure.

> Under that reasoning, I'd think you'd *want* to spend money to have
> the best for yourselves.

	Money often does not buy as much security as you think (often
 it buys complacency).  A smart card shan't protect me from a person
 whose security habits I can't trust -- all a smart card tells me is
 that the card is the machine. There could be 50 people and two kegs
 of beer in close proximity.

	Security is not gizmos. It is not cool hardware; it is people
 who follow secire processes. Blowing 40k collectively is unlikely to
 buy us much security.

>> Let me see if I can point out the logical flaws in words with few
>> syllables.

> Um, yeah.  Take a bath.

	Take a bath? take a _bath_? What are we, back in grade school now?

	manoj
--
By definition, when you are investigating the unknown, you do not know
what you will find.