Re: debsums for maintainer scripts

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:36:16 +0100, Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Before we make such a push, we should at least ensure that it is
>> something we really want to do. I think locally generated checksums
>> are a better solution.
> To me, the main use of md5sums seems to be verifying nothing bad (as
> in accident, not malicious manipulation) happened to the extracted
> files.  md5sums included in the packages do that even earlier than
> those generated.

	What kind of accident? Files lost? We already have a list of
 files for files being deleted, and having hashes of the files helps
 not -- you need to download the deb to get them back Permissions
 changed or owner changed?  chesum hashes do not help there. How often
 have you had a mass corruption as an accident?  What exactly is the
 use case we are solving here?

And do you not think that each of you women is an Eve?  The judgment
of God upon your sex endures today; and with it invariably endures
your position of criminal at the bar of justice. Tertullian,
second-century Christian writer, misogynist