Re: Revival of the signed debs discussion

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:41:43 -0500, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:28:41PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:47:50 -0500, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
>> said:
>>
>> > What kind of real world attacks do signed debs prevent?  Not a
>> > compromised buildd, or a compromised maintainer's workstation.
>>
>> It would allow me to copy .debs around with other people, or use
>> .debs not made available through the usual chain of security; as
>> long as the author hapens to be in my web of trust.

> What kind of real world attacks do signed debs prevent?

	I see a deb lying around on one of the machines at work -- and
 I do not trust some idiots who work for the gummint. Would be worth
 something to know the deb came from a real live debian developer.

> The only one which comes to mind is a rogue Debian developer that
> you do not wish to trust, even though the project trusts him.

	Not quite. The signed deb is non-repudiable authorship -- nice
 to know whence the software cometh.

	manoj
--
Short people get rained on last.