Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:01:27PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:19:28PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> | >
> | > The silly question is : What does our actual menu system provide that
> | > shouldn't be achieved by using .desktop file ?
> | >
> | > As those are going to be a standard, we should deal with them.
> |
> | You could swap "our menu system" and ".desktop files" here and your
> | argument would still be about as valid.
>
> I don't think that this is the case.  As I understand it, .desktop files
> have the advantage that they are already shipped by a number of upstream
> packages, support i18n better than Debian menus, are supported natively
> by KDE and Gnome, include facilities for providing stuff like generic names
> and are supported by the freedesktop.org folk.

That wasn't his argument. However, it's similar, and the response is
the same: why not simply add these features to the Debian menu system?

Nothing you've described is particularly difficult, or anything that
we haven't done before in different contexts.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |