Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:

[...]

>> I don't think that this is the case.  As I understand it, .desktop files
>> have the advantage that they are already shipped by a number of upstream
>> packages, support i18n better than Debian menus, are supported natively
>> by KDE and Gnome, include facilities for providing stuff like generic names
>> and are supported by the freedesktop.org folk.
>
> That wasn't his argument. However, it's similar, and the response is
> the same: why not simply add these features to the Debian menu system?
>
> Nothing you've described is particularly difficult, or anything that
> we haven't done before in different contexts.

Do you truly think that it is better that every different people
looking after the exact same features writes each of them their own
software?

I'm more inclined to think that refusing to collaborate with other
people should be motivated by strong divergences on the goal to
reach and the method to follow ; not just because it is *possible* to
do everything on our own.

Are they strong divergences on the goal to rach and the method to
follow between Debian and freedesktop.org?

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |