Re: The term "Custom Debian Distribution"

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 01:02, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 01:24:24PM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> > If some of the people who participated in the Debcamp Custom
> > Distribution BOF (see
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-nonprofit/News/2003/20030717) are
> > listening, perhaps you could elaborate? (Cc'ing Mako Hill since he
> > was referenced as one of the driving forces behind the meeting.)
> >
> > It might be hard, impossible and undesirable to reverse the decision to
> > use the term. I think the term can be correctly understood if you
> > present it as I have in some recent postings to this list:
> >
> > Debian is the super-project.
> >         XYZ is a Debian subproject
> >         that produces a Custom Debian Distribution
> >                 with the flavors A, B and C.
>
> Right.

I think this terminology is now pretty well defined. I think the above
is clear.

> Your other posts seems well informed. Subprojects is already defined
> for us (see http://www.debian.org/devel/ for an example of one

good point

> > More ideas? Perhaps some of this could be intergrated into the Debian
> > Subproject Howto as soon as some degree of consensus has been reached.
> > (I can't find it right now with people.d.o being inaccessible.)
>
> I think it absolutely should. I also think the HOWTO should be renamed
> or expanded in scope to bring it into alignment with the consensus that
> seems to be coalescing around these issues.

Agreed. Subproject, Custom Debian Distribution and Flavours HOWTO?

Since subproject well defines the umbrella term, perhaps the title of
the howto is fine (imagine adding also metadistro and live cd to the
title) - we simply need to do a bit of authoring to include all these
concepts, specifically define them, etc.

I intend to look at updating the CustomDebian wiki a bit with some of
these threads (thanks to cobaco for your updates), and if I get time
I'll look into updating the HOWTO - but don't let that stop anyone else
:)  (I can't promise when I'll get to it).

good stuff
zen

--
Debian Enterprise: A Custom Debian Distribution: http://debian-enterprise.org/