Re: [custom] Re: Custom Debian Distributions

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> Is there a single place where all official Custom Debian Distributions
> (CDDs - even a reasonable TLA), aka internal projects, are listed?
Unfortunately not yet under www.debian.org, but if the redirection
loop to people.debian.org is solved again you might consider reading

     http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/200311_lux_cust

This is my current talk about "Custom Debian Distributions" I held at
LinuxDays Luxembourg containing all known (to me) projects with URLs and
relevant people.  I'll prepare a written paper (hopefully) soon.  I wished
there were more relevant docs about this topic and a common page at
www.debian.org but I did not found enough time to care about this in the
past.

Moreover there is

      http://www.debian.org/intro/organization

where you can find some (not all - for instance Debian-Np is missing)
listed in the end under the old name "Internal Projects".

> > These Custom Distributions use the technique of metapackages and have
> > common goals and try to develop common technologies.
>
> Should have a cdd@lists.d.o list then...
See #160229.

> > reference.  In Oslo was a decision to name it "Custom Debian Distribution"
> > and if we try to speak with each other we have to agree about some
> > terms.  This thread shows that there is not yet an agreement and this
> > sucks because we have to explain over and over again what we are talking
> > about.
>
> Actually, it feels to me like we've come to a rough concensus on Custom
> Debian Distribution. There is agreement a single term is a good thing,
> perhaps with sub-definitions. No one (unless I missed it) has proposed a
> better name that hasn't had problems pointed out. I think.
I have no problems with any name because I'm generally holding my breath
in naming discussions.  On the other hand people who invented a name should
care for populating the meaning to avoid confusion.  This was not yet done
and *this* is the problem.

> > For instance we have defined a term "Package Pools" and everybody now
> > knows what we are talking about ...
>
> Exactly.
>
> It comes down to people using it. How would one go about creating a
> common location for pointers to all of these CDDs?
Just go for it.  You can get CVS access to wml pages even if you are
not a DD.

> Then, it's up to the projects to start using the term. A list would I
> think be very good for making cdd discussions stand out at this point -
> there seems to be enough traffic. But perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know.
You are completely right.  I'm feeling quite alone in propagating the idea
(if you keep in mind that also the patch fo www.debian.org/intro/organization.wml
was done by me).  But I would like to spend my power more to Debian-Med
instead of doing the work for all those CDDs. :-(

Kind regards

           Andreas.