[custom] Re: Custom Debian Distributions (was: Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?))

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:01:40PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > We also decided that flavors, subprojects, metadistros, and other
> > projects who were interested in customizing Debian *from within* and
> > that "Custom Debian Distribution" was the term we could all agree on
> > and that we all thought was clear.
> Sure, that's a good general term, but it conflates both flavours and
> derivative distros. Which is the same as saying "human" conflates both
> "men" and "women" -- sometimes you want to ignore the differences,
> but sometimes you don't.

Could you please define precisely "flavours" and "derivative distros"?

I see no problems in documenting that the name "Custom Debian" includes
"Flavours" and "Derivative Distros", and then define what they are.

It would be a nice way to make sure that we all agree with the meaning
of terms, to ease further discussion.  For example, I have a clear
meaning for Custom Debian, but I don't know how shared it is.

On the other end, I feel that if you see Flavours and Derivative Distros
as subsets of Custom Debians, then we might have different concepts in
mind.

We seemed to agree that Custom Debian's goal is to have distributions
which are 100% Debian, with a different default package selection and a
set of policy-compliant customizations[1].

With my ideas of Flavours and Derivative Distros, Flavours are Custom
Debians, but Derivative Distros are things like Knoppix which are
derived from Debian but are not policy compliant, and so they can't be
called Custom Debians.

Ciao,

Enrico