Re: make-kpkg question

Liberty Young <liberty@embeddedx86.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 09:35, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:46:52 -0700, Liberty Young <liberty@embeddedx86.com> said:
> >
> > > I'm building kernels for an embedded x86 product, and I'm falling in
> > > love with make-kpkg. My only problem is that make-kpkg
> > > --added-modules pcmcia-cs kernel_image modules_image doesn't do a
> > > depmod on the pcmcia-cs modules against the built kernel. I assume
> > > others have not run into this problem as default debian startup
> > > scripts do a depmod on the system...however, in an embedded product,
> > > every second that can be spared is needed. My goal is to just have
> > > make-kpkg build up images that can be just installed on a separate
> > > file-system (Compact Flash in my case) without any other work..
> >
> > 	Umm, it does try a depmod on install:
> > if ( -d "/lib/modules/$version" ) {
> >   my $ret = system("depmod -a -F $realimageloc/System.map-$version $version");
> > }
> > 	$realimageloc is generally /boot.
> >
> > 	If you are installing on a chroot, that should work fine, I
> >  would think.
> >
> > > Am i just missing something here, or is this truley just a 'feature
> > > request' bug that should be submitted to the maintainers of
> > > make-kpkg?
> >
> > 	If you provide some more details on how the kernel-imagfe-X.XX
> >  .deb is installed, we may be able to help.
> >
> > 	manoj
> > --
> I'm installing by tarball.  Unfortunately, my embedded OS doesn't have
> apt or dpkg (yet). I was thinking that make-kpkg modules_image or
> kernel_image would include in the packaged .deb a modules.dep that would
> include an updated modules.dep.
> I can see the logic in updating modules.dep during the install process,
> and not having a modules.dep that accounts for both in the resulting
> .deb from kernel/modules_image. Or is this a policy thing?

The modules.deb could contain just the lines that need to be added to
modules.dep. But then the postinst script would have to add them and
the postrm script rmove them. You can't have to complete modules.dep
in the deb since that would break with two different modules.deb
packages installed.

> Since it is an embedded distro without dpkg, I HAVE to provide both
> tarballs as my main distribution method, along with .deb and .rpm via
> alien.
>
> fakeroot alien --to-tgz  kernel-image-X.XX.deb pcmcia-modules-X.xx.deb
> after unpacking both tarballs into a ./foo directory, here's what is
> "broken" :
>
> $ cd lib/modules/2.4.22-2.3-ts/
> $ ls kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o
> kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o
> $ grep 'ppp_async' modules.dep
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-2.3-ts/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o:
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-2.3-ts/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o
> $ ls pcmcia/orinoco.o
> pcmcia/orinoco.o
> $ grep 'orinoco' modules.dep
> $
>

> so, modules.dep has ppp_async, but not orinoco, which is from pcmcia-cs
> modules (orinoco.o isn't there until i unpack the pcmcia-modules
> tarball).
> This means that unless my embedded system does a depmod on bootup, then
> things like 'modprobe orinoco' are going to fail.

You have to run the postinst scripts  or work around that some other
way.

MFG
        Goswin