Re: ftp.au.debian.org

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 10:24:46AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:37:18PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Yes, but it's somewhat hard to get that without more participation from
> > > mirror admins and users...
> > Is there any real reason not to just point ftp.xx.debian.org at
> > ftp.debian.org instead of a mirror in the appropriate country, at least
> > for short periods?
> All my experience with the people from Australia and Oceania tells me that a
> bunch of people would freak out because then they'd suddenly have to pay by
> a magnitude more expensive international bandwidth fees, as ftp.d.o is in
> the U.S.

In my experience, you usually have to take special care to ensure that
the mirror you use is cheaper than going to the states. Planetmirror
can be cheaper for Telstra users if they use a special plan, Aarnet
is cheaper for users who go through universities, the Pacific.net and
Internode mirrors are (generally) cheaper for their customers. But if
you use a different Australian mirror instead, it's just as bad as going
all the way to the US.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.