Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:26:31AM +0800, Niall Young wrote:
> > Obviously it's non-trivial, but it should be possible to have debootstrap
> > (or a similar tool) construct bootable Knoppix-esque CDs without any
> > user-interaction IMO.
> fai-bootcd almost does this (http://holbytla.org/fai/).

Hrm. It seems to create a CD that can be used to automatically do a Debian
install; what we want is kind-of the relfection of that: automatically
create a CD that /is/ a Debian install.

It should be possible to tell FAI about all the packages we want on our
LiveCD, do the install, then do similar stuff to what fai-bootcd does
to make that work as a bootable CD, rather than as a chroot or NFS root
or similar.

> At the moment you can
> define an FAI class description to replicate any host, fai-bootcd puts this onto
> a bootable CD for non-interactive installs without network.  Performing an FAI
> install into a chroot and building a live CD out this filesystem is next on my
> list.  I've just requested sponsorship for fai-bootcd on debian-mentors... ;-)

Surely fai-bootcd should be incorporated into fai proper, instead of
being a separate package?

Perhaps we can aim to get this working at linux.conf.au? Hrm, that
reminds me, I need a new .sig.

Cheers,