Re: Best pratices for short descriptions

Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 18:08, Florent Rougon wrote:
>> [A] lot of software has a canonical name that starts
>> lowercase. ucLinux is one of them.
> [lots of pseudo-hostile stuff snipped]

Well, I really tried not to sound hostile (you saw the "Friendly," at
the end, didn't you?) but I couldn't say I agreed with all that you
wrote in previous messages when the point of my post was to point out
what I thought was incorrect in some of them.

> How about the following:
> In the short description, capitalisation should be used only for proper
> nouns and acronyms; when capitalising, use the word's usual style, e.g
> XFree86 and ucLinux.

I have no problem with this rule. Just don't say it makes sense "because
short descriptions can be safely capitalized if needed, but not the
other way round". That would be wrong (first point of my previous
message).

> This provides an easy-to-follow rule which brings consistency to package
> descriptions.

Yes. Now, you have the problem that Policy maintainers want
implementation prior to the rule appearing in Policy and some people
won't follow rules unless they are stated in Policy (or are themselves
convinced that the rule is good).

--
Florent