Re: Which package provides policy-rc.d

In article <[🔎] slrnbrvg45.3l1.joerg@alea.gnuu.de>,
Joerg Sommer  <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
>I'm running a Debian installion across a network and run into the problem
>that I must start some services (like lpr) on some hosts and on some
>others not. So I need a way to deactivate services per host.

# cd /etc/init.d
# mv script script.OFF

This will work, and it will actually survive upgrades. Dpkg
will on upgrade not put a new /etc/init.d/script there.

>My idea is to ask a command, if the process should really be started. For
>me, the right point is invoke-rc.d and /etc/init.d/rc. I started to
>rewrite invoke-rc.d and found policy-rc.d. If present, it is run to find
>out, if a process should really be started - exactly why I want. But no
>package provides policy-rc.d. So why it is used in invoke-rc.d?

It doesn't exist yet. You are free to create a package that
contains the first policy-rc.d binary.

>I hope someone knows what policy-rc.d is and can comment my idea, because
>the maintainer of file-rc will stay conform to sysv-rc, which uses
>policy-rc.d.

http://people.debian.org/~hmh/invokerc.d-policyrc.d-specification.txt

The next sysvinit upload will contain READMEs with the text that
you can find at the URL above so as to close bug #219245.

Mike.