Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:50:12PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org>:
>
> > Turbo Fredriksson writes:
> > > But since we're (more than?) 600 developers, maintaining 8000 packages is
> > > difficult. But if those 600 developers only had say 3000 (just a number
> > > out the head), then more bugs could be fixed, and I could get more help
> > > fixing MY bugs when/if I don't have the time (or knowledge, which is the
> > > case in the listed packages).
> >
> > And if dumping 5000 packages resulted in the loss of 500 developers?
>
> It won't.

Reading John's mail, I just *knew* you'd say that.

You don't know that. It might not, but it might just as well do so.
Moreover, and much more important, it would probably scare the hell out
of many of our users. "Wow. Debian's suddenly stopped shipping <insert
random package here>, which was one of the main things I use Debian for.
Better look for a better distribution."

Having less users means having less people interested in Debian, which
in turn means having less people interested in joining Debian, meaning
less Developers in the end.

> It may half the developer base, but I assume that there are 300
> others that want to participate...

Hint: if the hard work of a shitload of developers gets dumped without
warning, I suppose people will think twice before they'd join. If
nothing else, dumping 62.5% of our packages will probably remove the
need for our NM system...

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."