Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

Quoting Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:35, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> wrote:
> > But since we're (more than?) 600 developers, maintaining 8000 packages is
> > difficult. But if those 600 developers only had say 3000 (just a number out
> > the head), then more bugs could be fixed, and I could get more help fixing
> > MY bugs when/if I don't have the time (or knowledge, which is the case in
> > the listed packages). --
>
> Let's consider for the sake of discussion that this package cull involved
> removing Postfix and KDE (we have Exim and GNOME).

Postfix is needed in the 'Enterprise'. Just because we have Exim, don't meen we
can't have multiple choises. Some entrprises would REFUSE to run anything than
Sendmail (or qmail in my case). If that isn't supplied, I wouldn't be able to
run Debian GNU/Linux. Choise is good, but I think we've overdone it...

About KDE. I don't like it so I wouldn't cry if it went out. But I guess the
discussion on what "an Enterprise" really entitles. I think that Debian GNU/Linux
should provide the _server_ end of the Enterprise, not the _whole_ Enterprise...
--
Soviet genetic strategic Semtex toluene terrorist Marxist fissionable
subway arrangements Nazi Panama Mossad cracking NORAD