Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:08:52PM +0100, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> Taken into account the configuration stuff in Live-CDs is usually done
> manually and is also very specific to the kind of live-CD you want to
> create (as well as who will use it, what applications you want to include,
> etc..). I don't believe that should be included in a /usr/sbin/knoppix.
> I might be wrong however.

Maybe I should've called it /usr/sbin/klaus_knopper ;)

Anyway, the stuff that hypothetical binary does is:

	* mark a bunch of packages for install, and run apt-get on them
	* configure them in some pre-deterined way

The first is trivial to automate once you've selected the packages,
although it can suck a bit to maintain as some of the packages get
dropped from unstable.

The second is harder to automate, but it's something we need to do
anyway: it's the same thing we want to be able to dump images out to
a hundred computers in a university lab, or a thousand computers on
secretaries desks at your favourite multinational or government agency,
or ten-thousand computers in a roll-out for a new search engine.

Getting that working for a single case (live CDs), is a good way to get
it working well for the general case, and even if not, tends to make
the single case a bunch easier.

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda