Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

gotom writes:
> At least in Japan, there is design right (if your don't know, try to find
> in google).

>From what I can tell the nearest thing the US has to Japanese "design
right" is "design patent".  AFAIK you cannot get a US design patent on a
font.

> Currently there is no definitive law or right in Japan.  "copyright" or
> "design right" is closer than intellectual property...

How is "design right" not "intellectual property"?

> ...but copyright is difficult to apply for fonts, and fonts may not be
> registered under design right.  But font vendor have appealed that fonts
> should be protected under appropriate law.  This complicated situation
> makes this issue more difficult.

You seem to be saying that fonts are not protected under present Japanese
law but that font vendors are trying to change that.  How does that
situation differ from that elsewhere in the world where "intellectual
property owners" are trying to broaden patent and copyright law?  Are they
trying to get _retroactive_ protection?  Are they likely to succeed?

> This complicated situation makes this issue more difficult.

I don't see why Debian should concern itself with possible future changes
in Japanese law.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)