Re: First pass all buildds before entering unstable

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:42:18AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just an idea from a completely uneducated person regarding buildd:
>
>    What about if each freshly uploaded package which contains architecture any
>    packages would enter kind of a staging area first and buildds grab these
>    files from there.  After each buildd was able to build a package the whole
>    set with all architectures enters unstable at once.

I don't think people would like it if their package stayed in incoming
for multiple weeks because there's a backlog on some architecture.
People are bickering enough as it is when packages don't move into
testing that we don't need this extra reason for them to bicker :-)

> This would get us rid of all those packages in unstable with "Does not build
> on ..."

Unstable is there for that kind of things. And to detect other kinds of
bugs, too. If you're going to keep packages in incoming like this,
people won't be able to test it until it's built on all architectures.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."