Re: ftpmaster accepts packages that have been rejected a few days ago

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:14:18AM -0600, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:59:22PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > No way, man. We simply have to have people repeat the same fodder on
> > debian-devel over and over again. The three hundred odd mails per day
> > from the new fodder just aren't enough!
>
> Yes, but realy a lot of people at any level in Debian have strong
> negative feelings towards James (just to leave it to your
> immagination), for various reasons. There must be somthing true in it,
> and since i'm involved in Debian i never sow this situation to get
> better.

A lot of people believe that Elvis still is alive, a lot of people used
to believe in flogiston rather than oxygen, a lot of people "knew" that
that world was flat...  The list goes on for ages.  Face it,
that a lot of people have strong feelings about something just doesn't
make it true; we have war, religion and modern financial theory as
evidence for this.

As for James: if you are in a position where you decide who's to go in
and who's not (as the DAM), and to decide _what_ goes in and what
doesn't (as an FTP-master), you must:

a.) Expect, and be able to brush off, a lot of shit

b.) Be able to stand firm and not change your opinion just becuase of
public pressure, if you're confident that your choice was based on
correct criteria the first time around

James seems to meet both of these criteria, something I really respect
him for.  Imagine having one of all of those who constantly whine about
his actions take his place...  Yes, things might progress in a higher
tempo for a while, but sure as not they'd either collapse because of the
mental pressure, or cave in to the demands from everyone and let
everything _including_ the kitchen-sink into the archives and let
everyone's applications through.  Sure, we'd get even more packages
(hooray! Another CD to add to the eleven or so we already have...), and
more maintainers, but at what cost?

[snip]

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //