Re: ftpmaster accepts packages that have been rejected a few days ago

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:04:04PM +0100, Rico -mc- Gloeckner wrote:
>   Saying that "another ftpmaster might think different" is proof enough
> of a doubt; it would be better to say: "your package has to wait, i will
> clear up with the group of ftpmasters wether this package is acceptable
> for debian."

I think rejecting it during this process of deliberation is better
than letting it sit there.  A rejection alerts the maintainer that
there's something wrong with the package.  In most cases, the maintainer
will agree and fix the package, so that it's no longer borderline and
no longer needs discussion.  In the rare cases where the maintainer
disagrees, it makes sense to re-upload the package and/or start
a discussion about it on debian-devel.

Remember that this process has to scale to dozens of new packages
per day.  It should be optimized for the common case.

At the same time, the proper default is that a package is only
finally rejected if all the ftpmasters agree that it should be
rejected.  For some reason, Marc Haber is complaining about this
default, and he wants James's first decision to be final.  Then
at the same time he complains about James being the Secret
Master of Everything.  This leaves me confused.

Richard Braakman