Re: gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:27:10 +0100, Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> said:

> Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> a tapoté :

>>> 1) Do you have a pointer that give that information in the debian
>>>    policy?
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main
>>
>> "...the packages in main
>>
>> * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
>> execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
>> "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
>> package), ..."
>>
>> Note, no mention of "Suggests".

> No mention is not necessarily approval. It may be just something
> forgot.

	Policy does not work that way. It is never meant to be
 exhaustive; if something is not mentioned in policy, it is up to the
 maintainers discretion.

	If you think that policy needs to be modified, filing bugs
 against unrelated packages is not the way to go. There is a well
 defined process for modifying policy, please use those mechanisms
 (since, unlike filing random bugs, following the prescribed procedures
 actually has a chance of getting policy changed).

	manoj
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room, and who's going to stop us? A Tom
Neff .signature