Re: gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> a tapoté :

> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 10:53, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> > Suggests are ok, Recommends and Depends are not ok.
>> >
>> > If you disagree with this, please discuss it on -policy, it's not a
>> > technical discussion.
>>
>> 1) Do you have a pointer that give that information in the debian policy?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main
>
> "...the packages in main
>
>       * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
>         execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
>         "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
>         package), ..."
>
> Note, no mention of "Suggests".

No mention is not necessarily approval. It may be just something
forgot.

>> 2) Why the gimp cannot any longer save gif files without installing
>>    non-free software?
>
> See the description of the gimp1.x-nonfree packages (apt-cache show
> <packagename>):
>
> "This package includes GIF support for The GNU Image Manipulation
> Program. These files are not freely available; their use is disallowed
> by the UNISYS patent on LZW compression in some countries. It is
> possible that the patent has expired in your country of residence. See
> the copyright file contained in this package for dates of expiration in
> countries which are known to have this patent. Use at your own legal
> risk."
>
> For more information, see http://burnallgifs.org/

So you confirm what I thought (yes, I checked this page before):

   - the support for GIF creation inside the main gimp package, in
     main, has been removed in favor of a package in non-free, that
     provide the same functionality (plus patented compression).

I think this is a serious bug: the functionality of the free version
has been lowered to promote patent emcumbered package.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage: 		http://yeupou.coleumes.org/		|
  | Computing Homepage:		http://alberich.coleumes.org/  		|