Re: gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> 1) Do you have a pointer that give that information in the debian
> policy?

Policy 2.2.1:

  Every package in main and non-US/main must comply with the DFSG
  (Debian Free Software Guidelines).

  In addition, the packages in main

    * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
      execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
      "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
      package),
    * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
    * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

> 2) Why the gimp cannot any longer save gif files without installing
> non-free software?

The software itself is free, but the algorithm necessary to save GIF
files (LZW) is patent encumbered in certain parts of the planet, and
the patent is actively being enforced (or at least bludgeoned.)

Don Armstrong

--
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the
right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu