Re: On linux kernel packaging issue

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 10:58:03AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Nikita V. Youshchenko [Sat, Nov 08 2003, 12:39:58PM]:

> > Optimization is a serious issue too. Unlike most user space software, using
> > 386 kernel on modern PC will cause serious performance loose. Especially if
> > you consider mmx/sse/... and SMP issues. Note also that not all drivers are
> > compatible with SMP, etc.

> Except of SMP, how exactly does optimisation of the KERNEL CODE help you?
> Your filesystem driver may become 2-3% faster, but the disk won't speed
> up at all, haha.

Don't you have to compile the kernel for a CPU with MMX support to be
able to use MMX in userspace? I understood something like that from the
mplayer docs recently, but I may have misunderstood...

Paul "TBBle" Hampson
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.