Re: On linux kernel packaging issue

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:53:26AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:33:15 +0000
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > We're all very interested in *real* evidence here, because there
> > hasn't been any in the past. If you don't have any evidence, you can
> > expect people to call bullshit on this.
>
> Gentoo
>
> # time bzip2 -9k linux-2.6.0-test5.tar
>
> real    2m40.974s
> user    2m33.679s
> sys     0m1.572s
>

> Debian unstable chroot within gentoo
>
> # time bzip2 -9k linux-2.6.0-test5.tar
>
> real    2m54.505s
> user    2m49.316s
> sys     0m1.641s

Disregarding the fact that you are measuring the wrong thing (others
have covered this adequetely), this isn't statistically
significant. You only took two sample points, you have no estimation
of accuracy, and you changed multiple variables at once.

This could be a textbook example of how to lie with statistics
(chapters 4 and 8).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |