Re: Circular Build-Depends; am I their only enemy?

On Nov 1, 2003, at 11:38, Ian Lynagh wrote:

A problem with what you are suggesting where build-recommends would work
is that we would have packages built and in the archive that are not
complete until another upload is done once the other build-recommends
are built - and the maintainer might not even know if it's all handled
silently like normal builds.

Well, I'm suggesting that normally Build-Recommends should be treated like Build-Depends. The exceptions would be manual builds done explicitly to ignore the recommends, and rebuilds of the world from source (like porting to a new arch.)

I don't see how this results in the above --- please explain further if its not just me failing to sufficiently explain my idea.