Re: [debian-devel] [Deb] Re: Localized bug reporting?
- To: debian-devel <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [debian-devel] [Deb] Re: Localized bug reporting?
- From: Steve Greenland <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:10:29 -0600
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20031101211029.GA3312@molehole.dyndns.org>
- Mail-followup-to: debian-devel <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: Steve Greenland <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20031031154041.GA8455@azure.humbug.org.au>
- References: <1067521808.2190.33.camel@kusturica> <20031030151741.GB7904@phunnypharm.org> <1067529119.789.13.camel@cedro> <20031030160322.GA27615@riva.ucam.org> <1067537605.5537.35.camel@kusturica> <20031031051646.GB10351@azure.humbug.org.au> <20031031142021.GA22881@molehole.dyndns.org> <20031031154041.GA8455@azure.humbug.org.au>
On 31-Oct-03, 09:40 (CST), Anthony Towns <email@example.com> wrote:
> Would you really feel obliged to monitor a layer that discussed problems
> in a language you don't understand?
You said that it would be good for the English ones to go there too, so
that they could be pre-filtered for user errors or misunderstandings. If
that were to happen, I expect that *most* of the bugs in the secondary
BTS would be in English, and while I'm certainly the most responsive
maintainer in Debian, if I can answer right away, I do, and there's no
need (from my POV) for such bugs to languish in purgatory until promoted
into the the "real" bug system.
Now, regarding a 'translation only' BTS, I don't see the need. If I get
a non-English bug report (which has yet to happen, in several *years*),
I'll ask for translation, and wait until such is forthcoming. I don't
see the need for a whole infrastructure.
I don't see how having the occasional non-English report in the BTS
really hurts browsing. You skip over it, just like you skip over all the
other bug reports that you don't understand.
But, of course, people can do whatever they want...
The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the
world. -- seen on the net