Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:30:06AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Jonathan Dowland dijo [Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:47:03AM +0000]:
> > On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:19:58PM -0700, Eric Schwartz wrote:
> > > If that's a bad idea (because there's too few entries to be useful)
> > > then so is your proposal, for the same reason.
> >
> > Is this not already possible, using the menu hints system? I don't know
> > myself because I am too scared to try it, plus modifying the menu
> > settings is a system-wide procedure at the moment and I want it on a
> > user basis.
>
> Most users don't do it, but you have:
>
> -----------UPDATE-MENUS(1)

Ah yes, but to enable hints you need to modify menu.h; if you are a user
and not in control of the system (or you only want to make the change
for one user) you need to maintain a local ~/.menu-methods/menu.h; and
if such a file exists, menu won't look in /etc/menu-methods for menu
methods anymore - so you need to maintain an up-to-date copy of each
menu method too.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/