Re: status of Progeny projects

Hi Joey,

Couple things:

We don't intend this to compete with d-i at all, and we certainly don't
think this work should have any bearing whatsoever on the release of
sarge (I'd LOVE to see sarge released in December and show all the wags
that think Debian can't release anything on a predictable timetable).

We did this because Progeny has different, albeit complementary,
goals than Debian: Debian supports 11 architectures, whereas Progeny
only supports 2, and will probably never support more than 3-4, since
most of the architectures Debian supports are no longer commercially
interesting. However, Progeny supports 2 distributions (Debian and Red
Hat), whereas Debian only supports 1. Our Red Hat customers expect
the native Anaconda install experience, and it turns
out our Debian customers want that easy-to-install experience too.

So, one of the goals here from Progeny's point of view is to simplify
the support function; now, rather than having to support 2 installers,
one for Debian and one for Red Hat, we only have to support 1. We're
doing the same sort of "cross-pollination" in software distribution,
this time in the other direction, by actively working to help merge the
various patches that add RPM support to APT into the mainline APT.
Again, now we only have to support one mechanism for both distributions
rather than 2.

Since our goals are complementary, we figured we would put our work out
there for the Debian community to ignore or not ignore as it sees fit.

Of course, simplifying the support function at Progeny isn't the most
interesting goal here. As I hinted at in the original email, another,
explicit, goal is to help facilitate the "bringing together" of the
various distributions and their needlessly incompatible technologies,
something that simplifies our lives as well as the lives of many, many
others. I'll have a lot more to say about this in the coming weeks..

-Ian

--
Ian Murdock
317-578-8882 (office)