Re: Source only uploads?

Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:

> Hi, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
>> So are you saying that such an infrastructure was in place, that you
>> wouldn't build your own packages to test them before uploading?
>
> There are other choices between "not building a package" and "run it
> through pbuilder-or-whatever".
>
> The less work I need to do, individually, to upload a bugfix, the more
> work I can do on actually fixing bugs instead of accommodating Debian's
> infrastructure.

Huh?  How does building a package use up your valuable time?  Sure, it
uses CPU time, but you can still do stuff in the meantime.  Timesharing
is neat like that.

Besides, how do you fix a bug without testing the fix first?  How do you
know it's fixed?  Do you just close bugs that you're guessing are fixed
without testing?

> And if there is in fact a build problem with my package, again the
> only person who is inconvenienced by it is myself, which is as it
> should be.

Not if your untested package introduces new, much uglier bugs.

--
I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.