Re: nethack popularity contest - number_pad?

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:59:09AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Why not? Changing bloody stupid defaults is something that's entirely
> within the remit of the packager.

    With good reason.  Turning of a very nice feature because s/he PERSONALLY
doesn't like it for absolutely no good reason is not and should not be
acceptable.

> The default behaviour of Mailman is something that I find indescribably
> frustrating, and the number of people I know who wish everyone "Happy
> Mailman day" (and not in a good way) is large.

    Let me get this straight.  You're pissed off about *ONE* email a month per
list subscribed to?  One?  Just one?  That's it?  And not only is it just one
but it is one that is *EASILY FILTERABLE*!!!  I just want to be asolutely
clear on that.  You're pissed off about one easily filterable message per
month.  Which, I might add, represents a very nice automatic way of culling
bad addresses so the list(s) you're subscribed to are more effcient, run
faster and have fewer problems.  That about sum it up?

> Packages that provide services to users should default to settings that make
> the user experience pleasant.

    I fail to see how a default which helps greatly in the effciency and
maintainability of the list at the "expense" of one message a month is
anything but making the user experience plesant.