Re: nethack popularity contest - number_pad?

* "Steve C. Lamb"

| On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:34:45PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > * "Steve C. Lamb"
| > | In Mailman 2.1, the monthly reminders can be sent out with VERP-like
| > | envelopes, Mailman can unambiguously parse any bounces from dead
| > | addresses, and can use this information to automatically disable or
| > | delete disappeared members."
|
| > Use this.
|
|     First off, could you be a little more vague, please.

What is vague about the abovementioned paragraph?  «This» obviously
refers to VERP.

|     Doesn't work since to do that requires individual mailings.  Batching is
| far better for efficiency.

You need to do VERP to handle bounces properly anyway.  And today you
can just throw CPU and bandwidth at the problem.  It doesn't seem to
be a problem for most people to have it off.

| The only negative.... some people are too lazy to make a filter if
| they absolutely don't want to see *one* message a month from that
| list.  Cry me a river.

If you want it enabled on your lists: turn it on.  I think that's
broken (because of the abovementioned reasons) and will not change the
default.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-