Re: Package which uses jam (instead make)

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:55:00 -0500, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 04:39:54PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > The "must" in the new meaning is an accidental byproduct of
>> > conversion to the new language.
>>
>> Accidental or not, it has been an established part of the
>> infrastructure for the whole life of ./debian/rules convention; and
>> ought not to be easy ro change.

> You know, this philosophy goes against everything that one normally
> sees on a *nix platform.

> On Debian, one would normally not care what language an executable
> is written in.  I run programs that are written in shell, C, Python,
> Perl, or other languages, usually oblivious to what language they're
> written in.  Sometimes they even change.  As long as they accept the
> same input and produce the same output, the implementation details
> like that are irrelevant to me the user.

	Quite so. As long as I can use it in the fashion I described,
 it can be anything you want. So, if I include ./debian/rules in a
 Makefile, since it is documented to be so, I don't care what language
 it is written in.

> When packaging software for Debian, the user of debian/rules is the
> person building the package.  The rules script is called like any
> other executable.  The fact that it is written in make is
> irrelevant.

	I tend to agree.

> The fact that you are using undocumented interfaces to

	Bzzzt. It is documented to be a Makefile. That _is_ the
 interface definition.

> debian/rules on occasion is also irrelevant.  If you do not stick to
> the documented interfaces, you lose the ability in my eyes to
> express outrage when the interfaces you use change.

	The documented interface says it is a Makefile. I treat it as
 a Makefile; anything you do that allows me to treat it as a Makefile,
 like the documented interface definition says, is fine.

	manoj

--
Once, there was NO fun ... This was before MENU planning, FASHION
statements or NAUTILUS equipment ... Then, in 1985 ... FUN was