Re: Package which uses jam (instead make)

Scripsit Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net>

>    Policy 4.8:
>
>    This file must be an executable makefile, and contains the

> I don't remember why we don't allow anything
> that meets the expected interface.

One reason that comes to mind is that it can sometimes be convenient
to assume that standard make command line options work for
debian/rules, e.g.
$ debian/rules -n binary-indep

It also gives NMUers a well-known interface for inserting last-minute
corrections to the packaging, say, if policy changes dicate a change
in installation directories and the original maintainer has gone AWOL.

--
Henning Makholm                            "What a hideous colour khaki is."