Re: Pre-Depends for postgresql

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:27:17PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> If any package that needs to add a user should always use adduser,
> should that not be a required package rather than just important?

The priority has nothing to do with how many packages use it; there is an
explicit definition in the policy manual.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-priorities

required
Packages which are necessary for the proper functioning of the system. You
must not remove these packages or your system may become totally broken and
you may not even be able to use dpkg to put things back. Systems with only
the required packages are probably unusable, but they do have enough
functionality to allow the sysadmin to boot and install more software.

> I had always thought that Pre-Dependencies were very much discouraged.

Caution and review are the rules for pre-dependencies.  They are sometimes
necessary, but should not be used without good reason.

--
 - mdz