Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:06:27PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 2003-10-02 12:38 +0200 schrieb Peter Makholm:
> > I don't know the reason for some packages being marked [REMOVE] but it
> > seems to me that it is not just an 'This package is not essential for
> > a releas an useful distribution'.
>
> OTOH, php4 is marked for removal. I assume that I'm not the only one
> that would classify it as important. In addition, it is odd that there
> are still packages depending on php4 which are not marked for removal.
>
> I did not dig into the reasons why php4 should be removed (BTS says
> "see -release", but that doesn't tell me anything), so I don't object
> against it loudly. But I would certainly call it a pity if it
> disappears. It would make Debian much less useful for the average LAMP
> server.
>
> Maybe someone can enlighten me here?

The removal of php4 was proposed as temporary measure to help sorting the
unstable -> testing progression. The plan is that it gets back into testing
before release. A quite usual trick. If a package A in testing blocks the
entry of a package B from unstable to testing, and in turn the lack of B
prevents the new version of A from unstable to testing, A is removed from
testing for a moment. But it is welcomed to get into testing again afterward.

That's at least what I understood from -release.

The removal of php4 from testing (and not removal from unstable, which is the
death penalty for the package you were afraid of) was discussed in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2003/debian-release-200308/msg00024.html

(which explains the reference to -release in the bug repport)

Now, glibc which were blocking the regular progression of php4 into testing
is solved, IIRC. The current status is discussed in:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2003/debian-release-200309/msg00030.html

http://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/searchlists
is your friend for more details.

Thanks, Mt.

--
I'm not griping, I'm just observing what a miserable experience this is.
    --- Calvin