Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:06:27PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Am 2003-10-02 12:38 +0200 schrieb Peter Makholm:
> > I don't know the reason for some packages being marked [REMOVE] but it
> > seems to me that it is not just an 'This package is not essential for
> > a releas an useful distribution'.
>
> OTOH, php4 is marked for removal. I assume that I'm not the only one
> that would classify it as important. In addition, it is odd that there
> are still packages depending on php4 which are not marked for removal.
>
> I did not dig into the reasons why php4 should be removed (BTS says
> "see -release", but that doesn't tell me anything),

Expand that to "see the archives of the debian-release mailing list" and
you'll find useful information. (It was a temporary attempt at pulling
php4 out of testing to unblock other stuff, which is due to be
reverted.)

> so I don't object against it loudly.

Good; in general you probably shouldn't interpret removals from testing
as policy decisions at this point, although of course if there's
something broken in a package being removed from testing then fixing it
is always a good thing.