Re: To what extent should Debian modify the kernel? (Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!)

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:11:29PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > Why would you have to remove features?  I routinely modify my patch packages
> > to apply to Debian kernel source, and this has never required removing a
> > feature.
>
> Because maybe you are a kernel hacker and have a clue. While I am
> quite good with C, networking, and operating systems, I am not
> willing to port grsecurity's changes to the official IP stack to
> a 2.5 backport.

So you're maintaining a kernelpatch for debian that has sever security
implication but you don't know enough about it and the code it touches
to do some forward porting?

> Also, please explain: how is the normal kernel not DFSG but
> a derived version is?

Debian seems to have problems with certain firmware images.  Note
that the way it's removed in kernel-source is rather useless to meet
DFSG as it's a) still in the orig.tar.gz and b) many of the arch
kernel patches back out the removal of this code in the diff of
the kernel-source package again..