To what extent should Debian modify the kernel? (Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!)

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 03:54:15PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> I run vanilla sources anyhow, so I am not too concerned as a user.  But as
> a maintainer of a kernel patch, I am not willing to modify the source to
> make it fit the inofficial kernel Debian provides. If I were to do so, I'd
> have to lessen the package's value by removing features, which I am sure
> is not going to be approved by upstream.

Why would you have to remove features?  I routinely modify my patch packages
to apply to Debian kernel source, and this has never required removing a
feature.

> I don't see why we don't provide kernel-source packages that feature the
> normal kernels

One good reason is that the normal kernels do not meet the DFSG.  Another is
that they often contain known security vulnerabilities, and it would be
irresponsible to distribute them that way.

--
 - mdz