Re: Virus emails

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 09:42, John Belmonte wrote:
> Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > They seem to come in two classes,one class where it seems it's a bounce
> > from qmail(?) server, the others are all somehow related to Microsoft
> > and Patching security holes.
>
> This is confirmed at the Register, which reported that "the worm can
> also impersonate mail delivery failure notices" [1].
>
> > Well, the conclusion seems to be that somebody is trying to get linux
> > people annoyed with MS security announcements, really odd...
>
> This is more than an annoyance for some of us.  My mailbox capacity is
> only 2MB.  Every night it is getting filled and temporarily rejecting mail.
>
> So the question is, are Debian developers the only "mass mailing" target
> of this worm or have other people and groups also been targeted?

No. MOST mailing lists I am on are complaining about it. It seems any
list that accept users that use LookOut Expunge are being hit regularly.

I am getting 1 mail every 45 seconds. 4 every 3 minutes. Had a peak of
17 in one minute.

It is NOT just a Linux problem, Anyone and Everyone in Addressbooks are
getting schmaltzd.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Sound barricades itself into rolls of peautbutter when you speak.