Re: why the package description bugs should have been "serious" (surprised?)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:37:39PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Other replies to my message indicate that I am not along in interpreting
> the Policy Manual as I have.  Not everyone has as strong a background in
> reading RFCs as you have.

Actually, a strong background in reading RFCs is a hindrance, not a
help, because our policy document uses "must" and "should" in a
different way.  In the RFCs, "SHOULD" is a strong recommendation
and "MUST" is a requirement, while in Debian Policy both of them
are requirements, with the difference being that "should" is not
release-critical.

I don't expect I'm telling Branden anything new here, but it's
worth reminding the audience because this difference sometimes
causes confusion on debian-policy.

Richard Braakman