Re: Done

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:34:06 +0200, Marek Habersack <grendel@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:43:37PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava
> scribbled: [snip]
>> > And that took less than a minute in total, borrowing phrases from
>> > the README.
>>

>> Good on you. Now, tell me again, if it takes a stranger to a
>> package less than a minute to come up with a decent description,
>> why in hells name are all these *MAINTAINERS*, for gods sake,
>> whinging and crying all over the mailing list that no one has
>> provided them with a patch for the bloody description?

> You are completely missing the point. It's not about the strangers
> having to do these things. It's about a fellow DD doing it - a

	Why should fellow developers have to pick up your slack for
 you? Why do you need to be handed things on a silver platter?

> developer like you or Javier. Why are you so stubborn on refusing
> the simple fact? The developers should do what Matt did if they want
> to help others and care to file bug reports.

	Because you are not displaying what I think a developers prime
 trait ought to be: caring for the quality of their package; you do
 not ask people who point out flaws to also hand you a solution, you
 find solutions on your own.

>> Is the alleged intention of the membership to create the best
>> distribution ever a thing of the past?

> And now you are contradicting yourself. First you state that
> strangers shouldn't be forced to fix the packages and their
> descriptions and a while after you talk about _making_ a
> distribution which is a domain of the developers. And if it is the
> domain of the debian developers, then it's implied they should be
> the ones to do what you suggested the "strangers" would have to do.

	No, you are missing my point on the work ethic of a Debian
 developer. We used to be far more (and, hopefully, for the most
 part, still are) than glorified packagers, we were vested in our
 packages.

	Were you vested in your package, you would not be complaining
 about how, when flaws were pointed (and they were flaws, since you
 fixed them) the person pointing the laws ought to have been doing
 your work for you.

	manoj
--
If this is a service economy, why is the service so bad?